Saturday, April 07, 2007

NaPoWriMo, Day Seven

Hooray for me. Seven whole days, seven poems. I appreciate Poetry Thursday and the variety of ideas. I combined today's word, kneel, with the prompt for next Thursday.

We kneel as if in
prayer
planting lettuces in the dark
Gibbous moon
watches, approves
placement of each tiny head.
Grandmother's idea
planting lettuces in the dark
kneeling as if in
prayer
but we're used to it.

Thanks to Megan and Catherine for their poetry lines. I can't wait to do more.

8 comments:

Rethabile said...

I like that, planting lettuces in the dark. The position is a must, unless we're extremely young and extremely flexible. I wonder if the hand is tiny in relation to the moon, or the grandma, or perhaps it's just tiny. Nice.

Crafty Green Poet said...

This is lovely.

January said...

Good use of the lines, Jone. I love how the poem is almost a mirror image of itself. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Cool poem, I like how you used the lines.

gautami tripathy said...

I loved reading this short poem. It induced images in my mind.

Regina said...

This was beautiful, Jone. It was very visual and imaginary for me as I never knew either of my grandmother's, but I could see myself planting lettuce with her...
Thank you...

rel said...

Jone,
Planting by the moon. It's like you were right there helping, watching, savoring the lore passed down from generations past. you presented this quickly but oh so clearly.
rel

Deb said...

I liked those borrowed lines a great deal, and you've made them your own, nicely!