Monday, March 26, 2007

Sunday Scribblings

In the kitchen
Family gathers round the table
“School was fine today,
Please pass the potatoes.”

Family gathers round the table
Anticipating a meal properly prepared
“Please pass the potatoes.”
A child sits in silence.

Anticipating a meal properly prepared,
Laughter erupts as the dad tells a story
A child sits in silence
Awaits retreat to her fairy tale room.

Laughter erupts as the dad tells a story
She forgets, giggles, then remembers
Her fairy tale room retreat
No one sees her depart as the moon rises.

She forgets, giggles, then remembers
“School was fine today”
No one sees her depart as the moon rises
In the kitchen.

I have been on a pantoum kick. I am not sure I followed the suggestion totally. For other kitchen tales, click here.

5 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Beautiful pantoum. I have written only one pantoum till date. You inspire me to write another.


BTW, I loved your kitchen.


gautami
Cook up a tale

Tammy Brierly said...

This was so cool! Can you give me a link on this?

I felt for the quiet girl. Wonderful job!

rel said...

Jone,
Neat! Pantoum? Hmmm, I'm intrigued by the form and will investigate further.
The story gets told very cleverly too.
rel

January said...

You know, I have never written a pantoum. Maybe I'll try it in April for National Poetry Month.

Great poem--you chose your lines/repeating words very well.

Annie Jeffries said...

Beautiful how it builds and then concludes. A whole story with a world of hidden meaning.