Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sunday Scribblings: Chronicles

The prompt for Sunday Scribblings this week is "Chronicles". It is defined as "to record in or in the form of a historical record". I took a writing workshop in which writing was described as mapping and sorting ourselves.

Chapter Headings of My Life

Early Years

Birth: January 29, 1953 at 8:56 AM, Thursday and a full moon
Two Years Old: Incident at the Pool in Which I Almost Drowned
Three Years Old: Preschool Here I Come
Four Years Old: Going to Grandmothers' House in New Jersey for Six Months

Elementary School

Kindergarten: Look at Me, I am Only Four Years Old and Starting School
First Grade: Sand in the Ear Makes a Sound Like the Ocean
Second Grade: No More Tonsils for Me
Third Grade: Wear Muttlucks at School to Keep Your Shoes Clean
Fourth Grade: Why Does Everyone Get to Have Braces and I Don't
Fifth Grade: The Day the Substitute Arrived for Dinner
Sixth Grade: New Town, Two Schools

Middle School

Seventh Grade: What You Mean I Have to Wear Bobbi Socksto School?
Eight Grade: The Year of the Garage Parties and Spin the Bottle
Ninth Grade: I Finally Get My Period

High School

Tenth Grade: Fifteen and I Have to Learn How to Drive (note: I didn't get my driver's license until I was 21)
Eleventh Grade: Discovering Boys, Really Discovering Boys
Summer of '69: Jone Goes to France and Learns to Speak in Tongues
Twelve Grade: Body Paint, Movie Drive-ins, and Kindred Spirits

College Years

Freshman Year: I Never Met a Dance that Didn't Have a Party to It
Sophmore Year: How to Keep A Long Distanct Relationship Going
Junior Year: It is Not Nice to Laugh at Someone When They Propose to You
Senior Year: Student Teaching, Turning 21, and Breaking Up

Ah, just writing these brings back memories which may have altered with age. It certainly gives me a list to reflect on and use for further writing.

Visit Sunday Scribblings for other chronicles.

7 comments:

rel said...

Jone,
It's great mental exercise, going back an remembering highlights of our own chronicles.
rel

paris parfait said...

Yes looking back, it's amazing what we remember most! Lovely post.

Tammy Brierly said...

Wow! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! We have so much in common besides Shirley Temple movies. Especially middle school and high school. Great post!

Go celebrate...WooHoo!

gautami tripathy said...

Great o be able to write all about your life.

gautami
rooted.

jillypoet said...

I really enjoyed your chronicle! Kind of like an abbreviated memoir. Great idea. The writing workshop you took sounds great, too. Thanks for all the kind words on my blog! Jill

Regina said...

Good memory there, Jone! It's amazing how we can whittle our years down to just a few experiences...

GoGo said...

I love it. What a great take on the prompt, and it was fun to read your own chronicle of life.

Nice job.