Thursday, January 18, 2007

Poetry Thursday

This is a great prompt from Poetry Thursday this week. We were to leave a line for the taking and borrow other lines. Fun, fun, fun. Day three of snowed and iced out of school.

Chance Meeting

The email, an olive branch, inviting
You to lunch
Too busy: kids
Work
school
to meet without an agenda
“Another time, perhaps”
Parents died years ago
Aware I am not innocent in creating the chasm
Between us.

Our blood flows fast in currents of time
Chasing after blue-bellied lizards, sand crabs
Perfect for belly buttons
Fighting, our feet as weapons on car trips
Dinnertime talk, me mostly listening as
Parents riddled with question after question
Annoying younger sibling habit
I left for college
Unaware it would be a lifetime away
Between us.

I enter the restaurant, Friday evening.
Standing room only.
Familiar couple sitting at the bar
Savoring a liquid dinner
Silver white hair, double take
Parents died years ago.
Our blood flows fast in currents of time
Performing the “duty” hug
Aware there are no coincidences in this journey
Between us.


Thank you to Sassy Dewy ( I am not innocent) and Tammy ( Our blood flows fast in currents of time) for their quotes. Thank you to Liz and Dana for a great prompt idea. For more "borrowed lines" visit Poetry Thursday.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jone,

Thanks for the poem. That so works with the line.

I love the second poem as well, so vivid. :)

Sassy Dewy

xo

Regina said...

I can really feel the uncomfortablness in this poem... performing the "duty" hug, ah, yes, remember it well...

Unknown said...

Very nice work! A wonderful, difficult, heartfelt poem!

January said...

Great take on the lines for your poem. I like this line especially:

"Aware there are no coincidences in the journey
Between us."

Thanks for visiting my blog. Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Cool poem! I've been there, done that....

twilightspider said...

This is heart-wrenching. It made me think of my sister and hope that we can remain close.

This just says SO much to me:

"I left for college
Unaware it would be a lifetime away
Between us."

Crafty Green Poet said...

Such a sad story, so beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

Lovely poems from those lines. I used your line in my poem Call Me Destructive. Thanks. Hope you like it.

susanlavonne said...

Your poem is crafted so beautifully...I love the way that you "demonstrate" the strong emotions through actions...just incredible!

Darlene said...

jone~*~

I am silly with joy that my Mark is comming home :D

I checked my email and it is right, but I have noticed things moving rather slow today. My email is:
darlenesimmonds@sbcglobal.net

XOXOXO Darlene

Tammy Brierly said...

I'm honored you used a line from a poem I wrote...wow! You did a beautiful job and I know that "hug" well.