Monday, July 23, 2007

Monday Matters: Harry Potter

I am cheating and cross posting this on both my blogs.

I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yesterday. This was after picking up my book on Saturday morning. I literally spent Saturday either napping or reading. I got up and went to Sunday service, where someone kindly informed me about Harry. It only confirmed the feeling I had after reading the first half of the book. But still, I hate when people do that.

I parked myself outside in my favorite reading chair and read until the finish. It was overcast so I didn’t realize until later that afternoon that my shins were sunburned.

I am pleased with the final chapter of the Harry Potter series. It was intense and filled with enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. The thing I am most pleased about is that it will be on the library shelf for my school. I always worried that the last installment might be too old for elementary school. But Rowling has written a story which can be enjoyed on many different levels. I was really struct with the message on love and tolerance.

I am so glad that this summer I have listened to almost all the previous books. (I skipped book 5 and saw the movie instead). I was reminded of many things I had forgotten over the years, particularly the complexity of the Tri Wizard tournament in book four. I will be finishing book six and then listen to book seven. I really like Jim Dale’s reading of the series. I highly recommend listening to any of the books.

My niece arrived last night. She has grown up with Harry Potter, starting at age 14-15. She attended the midnight release in Simi, CA. But waited until getting on a plane to savor the last installment. Me, I needed to get it read and fast before details were leaked.

My aunt was visiting just before the release. We discussed the impact that this series has had on kids and reading. Kids age eight when first starting to read Harry Potter, are now the same age as Harry. They are on the brink of adulthood. For many, this is the book that made a significant impact on their reading life. Island of the Blue Dolphins and the Tolkein trilogy did that for me.
What books have had an impact on you?

No comments: