Thursday, July 26, 2007

Be Present in this Day

I was enjoying dinner last night with my niece (who was visiting from California) and my husband. It was a lovely day so we were eating outside. My cell phone had a message on it which I retrieved following dinner. My college friend said she had some news and to please call her. Hmm, I thought. Since she wasn't at the annual college girls' weekend,maybe she decided to come out after all. (She lives in Colorado)
No, it wasn't that. It wasn't that one of her parents had passed on or that another college friend's dad lost his battle with cancer. No, it was to inform me that my college friend's son (age 30)had died suddenly yesterday morning. It is unclear why but he awoke to not being able to breathe.
It is surreal. Our children are all reaching the stage of marriages and babies. We are becoming in-laws and grandparents. We are not suppose to be preparing for a memorial service.
And Vicki will be doing that. On the eve of her first grand child (due in three weeks). A child coming into the world, who will not know his father's voice, touch, or laugh. How can this be?
It just brings me to that place to remember to be present in this day. My hear and prayers go to Vicki and her family. Such a loss. It also reminds me of this benediction.
Life is short
We do not have too much time
To gladden the hearts of those
Who walk with us
So be swift to love
Make haste to be kind
And may the blessings of God always be with you.
--13th Century Benediction
So today, be present. Give those you love hugs and tell them they are to be loved.

2 comments:

Sarah Amick said...

Our friend was 39, he had a massive heart attack on Sunday. He died on Wednesday leaving behind a 10 year old boy. Gone too soon. We have to have hope that there is a plan for this purpose.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Tammy Brierly said...

Amen! I'm so sorry!