Thursday, August 16, 2007

Poetry Thursday: Summer

Like the moderators of Poetry Thursday, I have been taking a break from writing a poem each Thursday. Yesterday, a poem came knocking as I sat in the backyard to read.

Summer

Fresh air living space
I sit, rest, and watch
Spotted towhees flit here, there
Scrounging the next meal

I sit, rest, and watch
A warm breeze caresses
Wind chimes lull me asleep
My book falls to the ground

A warm breeze caresses
Whirring wings of the hummingbirds
As they send Morse code messages
To each other

The whirring wings of the hummingbirds
Am I dreaming?
A petite energy warehouse
Cupped in my hands and released

Am I dreaming?
Short rapid barks startled me
I awaken. Pick up my book
Surrounded by fresh air living space

Yikes. Sad news. I visited Poetry Thursday to leave my link and found out that Poetry Thursday will be ending in August. Hopefully, someone will pick it up. It is such a cool web page for poetry prompts.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there with you in your waking dream. The sounds and the feelings of being somewhere else.

Crafty Green Poet said...

summer dreams full of humming birds = lovely.

paisley said...

the peace and resurrection found on the summers afternoon.. just beautiful.....

Regina said...

Oh, it sounds heavenly, Jone- a beautiful poem- so restful.

Anonymous said...

Summer afternoons are horrible in Delhi. Seems you are lucky to have great ones.

I enjoyed reading your poem.

Tammy Brierly said...

Ha! I wrote my PT on hummingbirds. lol Great minds. lol

Rob will keep it alive, thank goodness!

HUGS

Drizel said...

sweet:)

Tumblewords: said...

Nicely said. The softness and easiness of a fine summer day.

Constance Brewer said...

Lovely. very lyrical. :)

K.M.Ryan said...

very nice.

Sherri B. said...

You evoked the same wonderful feelings I have when I sit out in my back yard enjoying the sun and some peaceful moments with nature...beautiful poem!

Anonymous said...

Tiel Aisha Ansari and I, Mike McCulley, have created a 'poetry exchange' blog at Totally Optional Prompts , and you are invited to participate.